Monthly twilight rides allow cyclists to experience the excitement of pedaling Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, an 11-turn, 2.238-mile course. The ride is highlighted by the legendary Corkscrew turn that drops an equivalent of 5 1/2 stories. Rides generally run from 5:30–7:30 p.m. (5-7 p.m. in the winter months), and are open to all levels of cyclists. Helmets are required and the cost is $10 per ride.
Special Note: December Twilight Cycling time is moved to 5:00-7:00 pm due to Daylight Savings.
Bicyclists of all ages and skills are invited to experience the excitement of pedaling the challenging 11-turn, 2.238-mile race track at the popular monthly Twilight Cycling ride.
This month’s Twilight Cycling is being hosted by Gears 4 Good (G4G), a Monterey based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. G4G’s goal is to supply bicycles to people who cannot otherwise afford them, which provides essential transportation to work or school. The organization also offers bicycle maintenance training for its recipients.
Adrenaline junkies, novice cyclists and competitive riders alike will want to make note of the 2014 dates of the monthly Twilight Cycling rides, presented by Rabobank at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
Twilight Cycling evenings are open to all ages and levels of cyclists. All riders are welcome to experience the thrill of pedaling on the 11-turn, 2.238-mile world famous race track that is normally reserved for motorcycles and race cars.
Townsend Bell is fresh off his class-winning drive at the Rolex 24 at Daytona and the kick-off of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship series. Townsend was co-driver in Level 5 Motorsports’ Ferrari 458 Italia, and just edging an Audi R8 in a dramatic, and controversial, finish.
The tradition of memorable sports car racing will continue at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 2014 with the addition of America’s all-new premier sports car racing series: The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
This entirely new series created by the merger between the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series and the American Le Mans Series retains the very popular format of races within a race, providing plenty of on-track action and constant passing.
What: The SCCA National Championship Runoffs is the end-of-year championship race for the Sports Car Club of America Club Racing’s amateur competitors. Divisional champions and other top drivers from the SCCA’s 115 regions are invited to participate at the Runoffs, which consist of practice, qualifying and three days of racing, Friday through Sunday. National Championships are awarded to the winners of each class in a winner-take-all, single race format.
The following categories define the 27 classes that compete in SCCA Club Racing National events throughout the year and their participation totals determine which will take part in the Runoffs:
• Production – Series produced cars which are allowed a range of performance modifications while retaining their original design, structure and drive layout;
• Formula – The six formula classes are all single-seat, open-wheel race cars;
• Prototype – Purpose-built road racing cars with full composite bodies, yet underneath, these cars are pure racing machines;
• Sedan – Comprised of American muscle cars such as Camaros, Firebirds, GTOs and Mustangs with production-based chassis and modified suspensions and brakes;
• Touring – High performance cars which, because of their performance potential, required some changes to their wheel/tires and suspension components;
• Grand Touring – Purpose-built, highly-modified “silhouette” replicas of series-produced sports sedans;
• Super Touring – Designed to allow late-model production-based cars more extensive modifications such as including wings, engine swaps, etc.,
• Spec Miata – Provides the opportunity to compete in low cost, production-based cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.
When: October 10-12, 2014
Tickets: Advance purchase general admission is $25 per day and $60 for a three-day pass. General admission and paddock is free for Children 12 and under with a paying adult. Hospitality starts at $300.