Shelby Cobra Activities Abound at Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
The Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion has become a “don’t miss” event for Shelby Cobra owners August 17-19 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Complementing the 17 race groups will be a full slate of activities to honor the 50th anniversary of the Shelby Cobra, the event’s featured marque.
It’s expected to be the largest gathering of the iconic Shelby Cobras, with more original ‘60s competition and street cars (CSX 2000/3000 series) present ever assembled in one location. The highlight of the weekend will be race 3A on Saturday, August 18 – that features 45 original competition Shelby Cobras taking the green flag.
“It is a thrill to see such an outpouring level of support from Cobra owners who are going to share their prized Shelby Cobras,” explained Gill Campbell, CEO/General Manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. “There will be plenty of opportunities for them to participate in the activities, even if they are not competing on the track.”
Among the special Shelby Cobra activities planned for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion are:
- Shelby Cobra Heritage Display, presented by Ford Motor Company that features 12 significant Cobras in their natural environment. Never before have these cars been grouped together. (August 17-19)
- Dedicated Shelby Cobra race with 45 original ‘60s cars (August 16-18)
- Shelby Cobra race cars depart on the Quail Run to rumble into the serene Quail Motorsports Gathering (August 17)
- Shelby Cobra Corral featuring more than 200 Cobras. This includes original ‘60s Cobras featured on the island and complemented by Shelby American continuation Cobras and replica cars.
- Cobra Parade laps on the track (August 18)
- Picnic with Shelby Cobra; where legends speak about the great marque and who made it famous (August 18)
- Cobra Car Show on Pit Lane; come see all the ‘60s competition and street cars all lined up for viewing in celebration of the late Carroll Shelby. (August 18)
- Many former Shelby American employees and drivers will be present throughout the weekend, and gathering for a group photo.
Seventeen race groups comprise the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, ranging from a 1907 Renault Vanderbilt Racer to a 1990 Ford Thunderbird stock car. Nearly every era of motorsport history is represented, making the event a must-attend weekend for families of all ages.