Mazda Raceway Celebrates New Race Series with Laps on the Streets of San Jose
The Streets of San Jose may never be the same after drivers from the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship get their race cars into full gear as they do a few laps around Plaza de Cesar Chavez in the Mini Grand Prix of San Jose on Wednesday, April 30, 2014.
The TUDOR Championship competitors are in San Jose to share the high-revving powerful new race cars with fans in advance of the Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix powered by Mazda. Since it is the first race of the year at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, May 2-4, 2014, the circuit wanted to share its motorsports passion with new audiences to kick-off the season.
San Jose Earthquakes defender Jordan Stewart will serve as Grand Marshal for the Mini Grand Prix of San Jose. He will be accompanied by TUDOR United SportsCar Championship drivers who include:
- SRT Motorsports, SRT Viper GTS-R, driver: Jonathan Bomarito;
- Performance Tech Prototype Challenge, driver: Charlie Shears;
- SpeedSource, Mazda Prototype, driver: Sylvain Tremblay;
- Krohn Racing, Ferrari 458, GT Le Mans, driver: Nic Jonsson;
- TRG-AMR, Aston Martin V12 Vantage, drivers: Al Carter/James Davison;
- BMW Team Rahal, BMW Z4 GTE, driver: Bill Auberlen;
- Spirit of Daytona, Corvette DP, driver: Richard Westbrook/Michael Valiante,
- Michael Shank Racing, Riley DP Conti 2-seater, drivers John Pew/Oswaldo Negri, Jr.
The Mini Grand Prix of San Jose begins with race cars on display at 11 a.m., demonstration laps around Plaza de Cesar Chavez begin at noon and a fan autograph session with the TUDOR Championship drivers and Jordan Stewart begins at 12:30 p.m. There will also be prize giveaways including race gear and event tickets.
The Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix powered by Mazda, features the Monterey debut of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, America’s all-new premier sports car racing Series. The Series was created by the merger of the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car and American Le Mans organizations, both of which had a long history of competing at Mazda Raceway. The TUDOR Championship features two styles of cars, Prototype and GT (Grand Touring). Each style of car has two classes, Pro and Pro-Am, meaning there are four classes of racing on track together, each with their own battle for the lead.
Advance purchase general admission starts at $35, with a three day general admission pass only $75. Children 12 and under are admitted free when accompanied by an adult. Free parking is also available.